A: In order to recover from a ransomware attack:
- Maintain a full on-site backup, continuously updated.
- Maintain a full off-site (internet-based) backup of your data, continuously updated.
- Install a quality anti-malware on your computer.
- Log in to your computer with non-administrator user account, preferably a Child account (Windows) or Parental Control account (macOS).
- Enable Application Whitelisting. This prevents anything but authorized applications from launching. This is done in macOS from the Parental Control System Preferences. Windows will require an AD server to be configured to do so.